Here are our top five movies for 2013 courtesy of the Toddster. Hope your holidays were great
Happy Belated New Year, Patrollers! 2013 was a busy year for movies and the DVD Patrol was in the thick of it reviewing them all and bringing them to DVD as we always do for you. Here are the Toddster's picks for the year and 2014 is going to even busier. Let's see what we've got here.
5. The Lone Ranger- A familiar hero rides out of the plains. Attorney John Reid (Armie Hammer) was returning home to start a practice where he believed in justice and the average man could get a fair chance at justice. At the same time, a noble Indian warrior named Tonto (Johnny Depp) was looking for the men who killed his brethren and was looking for revenge. These two are about to meet on the same train. Outlaws rob it and Butch Cavendish (William Fichtner) is responsible. John's brother is a Texas Ranger and makes John a ranger as well. John and the rest of the posse are ambushed by Cavendish and his men where their left for dead. Tonto finds them and realizes that John is still alive. Tonto tells him that everyone thinks he's dead and it might be a good idea to stay that way. With Tonto at his side, his new horse Silver, and a mask to his identity, Can John find the justice he looking for?
4. Now You See Me- Using Magic to make someone's life better is never a bad thing. Danny (Jesse Eisenberg), Merritt (Woody Harrelson), Henley (Isla Fisher), and Jack (Dave Franco) all had different talents when it came to the World of Magic. They're brought together to make do something even bigger than they could pull off by themselves. Some time later, the four of them are now known as the Four Horsemen and are pulling off what appears to be robberies where they use the money to give away.They catch the attention of FBI Agent Dylan Rhodes and Interpol agent (Melanie Laurant). Thaddeus Bradley (Morgan Freeman) is trying to prove they are fakes. Can they catch the Four Horsemen or are they too good to be stopped?
3. Star Trek: Into Darkness- Returning heroes to fight the good fight never gets old. Captain Kirk (Chris Pine), Spock (Zachary Quinto) and the crew of the Enterprise are used to doing things their own way. After trying to save a planet from being destroyed, Starfleet command isn't so sure they want Kirk flying around the Galaxy doing things his way. So they give the Enterprise back to Admiral Pike (Bruce Greenwood) to see if he can teach him a new trick or two. His lessons are interupted when a new threat to Earth and Starfleet come in the form of Khan (Benedict Cumberbatch) who has a hidden agenda. Khan manages to blow up most of Starfleet command along with Pike and now the only way to get at Khan to give Kirk back his command. Can Kirk and the Enterprise beat Khan and save the Earth?
2. Fast and Furious 6- Here's where the term "Honor among thieves" really means something. Dominic Torretto (Vin Diesel) and Brian O'connor (Paul Walker) pulled off the biggest heist of their careers by stealing $100 Million dollars from the biggest drug dealer in Brazil. They thought they were done. Federal Agent Hobbs (Dwayne Johnson) finds Dom and tells him he needs his help along with his team to take down terrorists who have been hijacking military convoys. Dom isn't interested until Hobbs tells him there's someone on this crew he might know. It seems that his lady love Letty (Michelle Rodriguez) is still alive. Dom thought she was dead. Now all he wants to do is get her back. Will Dom and his team be able to find her and stop this new threat before it's too late?
And our #1 Movie of 2013 is:
1. Man Of Steel- The Man of Tomorrow returns in an adventure for an all new generation. Jor-El (Russell Crowe) is sure that his Home Planet of Krypton is going to explode. He tells the Planet Council about his theories but they don't believe him. At the same time, General Zod (Micheal Shannon) has decided to try and take over the Planet in a Military coup. Jor-El gets away from him to make sure his infant son Kal-El will get away before Krypton explodes and the General gets him. Jor El is successful but manages to kill Jor-El. His son gets away to Earth. Zod is placed in the Phantom Zone for his treason. Krypton is destroyed and now years later a young Kal-El has grown to become Clark Kent (Henry Cavill). He has learned that he's not like normal Earth people and has been traveling around to try and see what his destiny holds. His activities haven't gone unnoticed when a reporter named Lois Lane (Amy Adams) goes looking for him. Clark finds a ship from his home planet and activates it. It holds information about him but also gets the attention of General Zod who has freed himself after the destruction of Krypton. Is Clark going to embrace his destiny and find a way to stop General Zod too?
Everything seen here is available on DVD now. There were a lot of good movies for the year but these five made the cut. 2014 is going to be busier as we said with some coming up such as "Sabotage" starring Arnold Swarzenegger, "Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit: with Chris Pine and Kevin Costner, and a new "Robocop" just to name a few. The Patrol will be back next time with a few new DVDS to get the Winter started off. The Toddster returns next time.