There are many reasons why Obamacare has been such a disaster. But one fat reason trumps them all: The guys who created it didn’t give a damn about you.
They told you it is all about you. It is not. Not in the slightest. If it was about you, the creators would have asked you what you wanted. They did not. Or if they did, they did not listen to you.
Here is what polls and common sense should have told them:
1. Most of us were happy with our healthcare. Something like 85 percent of Americans said they were. That alone should have shone like a beacon. It should have told them to not tamper with what most people had and liked. They should have looked for ways to help the uninsured, yes. But they should have respected the 85 percent. Did they listen?
2. As long as they were messing with insurance, most of us would like health insurance that moves when we do. From a job in Albany to retirement in Jamestown. From no job in Utica to part-time in Kokomo, Indiana.
3. Most of us would like our insurance to last our lifetime. With limits on how much premiums can go up. No matter what illness we contract. No matter how old we get. No matter if we choose to grow old in New York or Florida.
4. Most of us would like policies that apply to us, our families. Instead of group insurance through employers. We have group insurance because there are laws that won’t let companies pay for insurance for individuals.
5. Most of us would like plain vanilla simple healthcare insurance. In language the dog can understand. Same price for everybody. We prefer to buy our own extras. According to what we figure we need.
Anybody who solemnly promised this would probably get elected.
This is the sort of health insurance most Americans want. The lawmakers ignored us, you and me.
Here are things most of us did not want: Confusion. Lingo that we don’t understand. And we did not want healthcare shoved down our throats. Did these birds listen? Hah!
Latest surveys tell us only 14 percent of Americans understand all the friggin’ healthcare terms that are being bandied about. Copays. Provider networks. Deductibles. And those are the easy terms. How about employer mandate, individual mandate and exchanges? Or beacon communities? Meaningful use? De-identification?
Think of it. This dog’s breakfast of a program is supposed to be for the people. But most of the people cannot figure it out.
There is no way in this universe that most Americans will understand these terms. Or the program itself. Because it is too complex.
The guys who created the program listened to insurance companies. They listened to idealists. They listened to each other. They sure didn’t listen to Joe and Mary American.
They have done great damage. They have shoved this program down people’s throats. They have outdone the old Kremlin with this. If they wrote our traffic laws you’d sell your car.
They have caused millions to ponder what government is supposed to be about in a representative system. Aren’t the representatives we elect supposed to be – in Bill O’Reilly’s term – lookin’ out for the folks?
If the guys who wrote Obamacare read the above they would ask “Folks? What are folks? And what do they have to do with our program?”
From Tom...as in Morgan.