ALBANY – Governor Andrew Cuomo created ten Regional Economic Development Councils earlier this year. Made up of local business, labor, education, and community leaders, these Regional Councils empowered each area of the state to set their own priorities for economic development.
Over the last several months, the Southern Tier Regional Council has worked to develop a comprehensive strategy to grow the economy in the Southern Tier. The plan also identifies priority projects that have the greatest potential to create jobs.
Yesterday, Governor Cuomo announced historic investment in the Southern Tier to support this transformational plan. The Governor is awarding the Southern Tier $49.4 million to support 58 priority projects.
In addition to the $772,422 awarded to the Chenango Industrial Development Agency for rail revitalization, projects in Chenango County are as follows:
• Chenango County Homeownership Program – $350,000 awarded to Chenango County. Project: Assist 14 low-and-moderate income households in Chenango County with the purchase of a home.
• Medical Administrative Workers Training – $50,000 awarded to DCMO BOCES. Project: Train 20 unemployed Norwich workers for positions as Certified Clinical Medical Assistant, Certified Billing and Coding Specialist, Certified Medical Administrative Assistant, and Administrative Dental Assistant.
• Capital Plan – $2,000,000 awarded to Norwich Pharmaceuticals, Inc. Proejct: Project consists of several phases designed to increase both the company's manufacturing and R&D capabilities and capacities through 2015. Project includes infrastructure improvements, purchase of R&D laboratory equipment, and R&D production equipment, commercial scale production equipment, and plant boiler upgrades.
• 2011 Access to Home II – $250,000 awarded to Opportunities for Chenango, Inc. Project: Make accessibility improvements to 10 homes of persons with mental and physical disabilities and the elderly in Chenango County.
• 2011 Chenango County HOME Repair Program V – $500,000 awarded to Opportunities for Chenango Inc. Project: Rehabilitate 20 homes with deferred payment HCR loans for up to $30,000 in Chenango County.