Eastern as Guilford was first named was formed from Oxford April 3,1813 and changed to its present name March 21,1817 as documented in Smithís History of Madison/Chenangoís History. When this publication was written Guilford had nineteen school districts, with each district having a school house, so located as was the norm that throughout the county children would only walk at the maximum two miles, generally it was a mile to a mile and a half. In September of 1877 there were 657 children within the township. With the year ending Sept. 30, 1878 the districts employed 18 male and 19 female teachers. Of this nineteen were licensed. Information which we will assume was extracted from the assorted annual school registers the average attendance daily during the year was 309.740 scholars, 788 volumes combined in all libraries with a value of $171. With nineteen district schools, including the land on which they were located was a total of three acres, thirty rods and valued at $11,670. As a matter of record total assets as of September 30,1877 was $3,326 with the disbursements being the same with the following breakdown: $3,018.67 - teacherís wages, school apparatus - $1.27, appropriated for libraries - $1. 53, repairs, fences, sites, out-houses, furniture, etc. - $59.06 and other incidental expenses - $212.05.