Windsor 54, Norwich 12
NORWICH – Norwich was unable to make it two dual meet wins in three days, but showed improvement in spite of a lopsided final score, said NHS first-year coach Joe Downey.
“Yes, we lost, but we wrestled great tonight, and I saw a lot of good stuff out of our wrestlers,” Downey said.
Among the noteworthy efforts pointed out by Downey:
• Zach Ketchum (130) took down defending Section IV champion Colton Perry, who was third in the state a year ago.
• First-year wrestler Anthony Vitello (140) battled through six minutes against Windsor’s Frank Kennedy before losing a decision.
• Damian Marvin (145) wrestled the two best periods of his season, albeit in a loss.
• Cody Bradbury (152) chalked up another win for the Tornado, one of three by the Tornado.
• And Keegan Levesque (215) was bumped up from his usual weight class of 189 pounds, and lost a narrow decision to the section’s top 215-pounder, Noah Sibley, 3-0.
Perhaps the highlight of Norwich’s night was Frankie Garcia avenging a Windsor Tournament loss at 103 pounds. Garcia, who was pinned by the Black Knights’ Jesse Holton in the finals of that tourney, won a 7-1 decision. Leading 2-0 entering the third period, Garcia reversed Holton and scored back points to gain a commanding lead.